People of all ages can suffer oral health concerns. When problems arise, getting to the dentist right away becomes essential. People do not always know when they need to see a dentist immediately. Being aware of the signs will help individuals protect their oral health.
Signs People Need to See the Dentist
Most people know they need to see the dentist twice a year for teeth cleaning and exams. Problems arise when a person does not know if their oral health concern warrants an immediate visit to a Dentist Near Me. Seeing the dentist is important if any of the following symptoms occur.
- Pain and swelling happen with the teeth and gums when there is decay or gum disease. These symptoms often arise without warning. When swelling and pain appear, getting to the dentist right away will help bring them under control.
- Puffy gums that are red and swollen mean gum disease is present. People should never ignore these symptoms because the infection could become serious. The bacteria in the gums can travel to the bloodstream and affect the heart.
- White spots on the teeth mean the beginning of cavities. These are not tooth stains. When teeth begin developing white spots, people need to see the dentist for corrective action before the decay worsens or spreads.
- Damaged fillings, crowns, or bridges need immediate repairs. Sometimes, these broken dental appliances can cause pain and even injury. The dentist can repair these appliances and help patients find comfort.
- Changes in texture or color should also be reported to the dentist. Though in most cases they are benign, these changes can result in cancerous growths. The dentist will offer an oral cancer screening.
- When teeth become overly sensitive to heat, cold, or sweets, the dentist needs to examine them. Increased sensitivity often means erosions and worn enamel have occurred. These will worsen over time without treatment.
- Persistent bad breath is another area of concern. Foul breath can come from decay, gum disease, and infection. Seeing the dentist will help patients find the cause of the bad breath and obtain relief.
Schedule a Dental Appointment Twice a Year
Seeing the dentist a couple of times a year helps keep smiles healthy. At these appointments, people have their teeth cleaned and examined. The dentist will also screen for diseases like oral cancer.
If an acute oral health issue arises, people need a prompt dental appointment. Many dental offices offer emergency dental services for their patients. These services help people overcome the painful symptoms they feel when issues arise with their teeth or gums.
Choose the Best Dentist
Deciding on a dentist is not always easy. People need to research their options and learn as much as they can about the available services. Dentists provide a range of dental services for their patients. The goal of a dentist is to protect the health of patients’ smiles and prevent cavities and gum disease from developing. Now is the time for people to schedule their annual checkups to ensure their smiles are healthy and beautiful.