In India, Indian Railways is among the largest transport system that millions of people use on a daily basis. It is the lifeline of the Indian transport system. Indian Railways is a huge setup and the organisation has numerous branches. As a huge amount of the Indian population is dependent on the railways for their day to day work, the government has provided a dedicated ministry which has put forth an appropriate budget for the proper functioning of the system. Though most people travel on trains very frequently, they don’t know many things about the entire railway system. Be amazed by these few facts about the Indian railway that most people are unaware of.
- The Indian Railways is the largest organisation of railway networks which is operated by a single government. In the world it ranks third in the largest railway networks as it has a total length of 127760 kilometres. Annually about 9991 trains carry around 8421 million passengers across 7172 stations all over the country. Sometimes the daily passenger count in the Indian railways is greater than the total population of certain countries. Besides passengers the trains also carry on an annual basis an average of 1014.15 million tons of freight.
- In the whole world, Kharagpur is the longest railway station which is 2733 feet long. But currently the new Gorakhpur station has taken its place by breaking the record. The length of Gorakhpur station is 4430 feet.
- UNESCO’ World Heritage sites are spread all over the world in many places. The Indian railway elements are also included in it. Two of the historical elements fall under the list, which are the Indian Mountain Railways and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. The Indian Mountain Railways consists of three railways and these have been functioning for around a 100 years, while the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus displays a classic fusion of the Indian architecture with Gothic art.
- Railway reservations using computers in India began as early as 1986. With further advancement in technology, it has been made much easier for the passengers to book their tickets. Now they can easily book their tickets online using their smart phones even. Even irctc train enquiry between two stations can be made using the online website.
- There are five luxury trains in India, which are namely- Royal Rajasthan on Wheels, Palace on Wheels, The Golden Chariot, The Maharajas’ Express and The Deccan Odyssey. Among these the oldest one is Palace on Wheels. But these all are the pride of the Indian Railways and are quite renowned in the world.
- In the passenger trains, it is maintained that the resonance frequency of all the suspensions of the passenger coaches is kept close to 72 bpm or 1.2 Hz, when they are designed. As the most fundamental frequency of the human body which is of the normal heartbeat is 1.2 Hz the human body is found to be most comfortable in it. Thus people have a sound sleep in trains.
- The railway industry spends about 94 paisa of each rupee that it earns. As they are working on such a high operating ratio, the revenue of the railway has been suffering.